After reading the Warrior of Rome books once again, I couldnīt stand it anymore. A new project was born! For rules Aurelian seems perfect. Written for the 3rd century and I liked Lasalle, so easy choice.
I wasnīt so sure with the miniature size: 28mm or 15mm. I really love the A&A miniatures, but after seeing Sir Tobi and Dr Phil Hendry beautiful painted miniatures... So, maily for money and place reasons I will go with 15mm. I allreday have some terrain for 15mm. For the manufacture I will take Forged in Battle. They look really nice.
Because I am new to the 3rd century as a wargaming period I have some questions regarding the FiB range, equipment... So for the experts:
1. Were auxiliary archers without armor in the 3rd century? FiB has only unarmored archers in their 3rd century range.
2. How long were rectangular scutums used? FiB has only round shields in their 3rd century range, but I really like the mixed look of the A&A units with both shield types.
3. Aurelian uses markers for disruption. I want to use the casualty markers from war bases with dead miniatures from Donnington. Other ideas?
4. I want to build a roman and german army for Aurelian. In the rules the term Germans is used for the different german tribes. FiB only have early Germans. Are they to early? Can I use their Franks range? Or mix them?
5. The Germans in Aurelian have optimates as heavy infantry. FiB donīt have german heavy infantry. Can I use their Saxons instead?
6. Aurelian doesnīt use command stands, but I want to have one and to mark the fate options. Can I use the FiB late republican command stand as roman generals for the 3rd century?
I also posted in a german forum where Sir Tobi ist aktive, but maybe someone here can also help.
Thanks a lot and greetings from Germany