Author Topic: Battle of Großbeeren - 23rd August, 1813  (Read 3740 times)

happ45

• View Profile
Battle of Großbeeren - 23rd August, 1813
« on: May 29, 2016, 03:42:02 PM »
Hi,

Please see below the link to our club website where we have produced the cards, briefings and rosters for the Battle of Großbeeren.

The cards are 80mm x 60mm (using A4 paper size) and the map in the scenario notes is 8ft x 5ft using a 3" = 1BW scale. We print the cards out on good quality photocard / photopaper, laminate the A4 page (matt laminating pouches), use a guillotine to cut out each card and then put them into 80x60 movement trays.

https://oldmeldrumwargamesgroup.com/blucher-scenarios/battle-of-grosbeeren-23rd-august-1813/

Any and all comments welcome.

Ross,
Oldmeldrum Wargames Group
Aberdeen, UK

happ45

• View Profile
Re: Battle of Großbeeren - 23rd August, 1813
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 02:20:39 PM »
Hi folks,

Had to update the French files as I omitted the Light Cavalry Brigades attached to IV & VII Corps (only noticed when cross checking the OoB's for Dennewitz which is pretty much the same forces with a few minor changes).

Follow the link in the post above for the corrected files.

Apologies!

Ross

Captain Darling

• View Profile
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 05:30:05 AM »
Hey Ross,

Another exceptionally presented scenario champion effort!

Thanks. Keep them coming.

Cheers
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"
Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4
http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
http://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au/

fishdja54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 01:19:35 PM »
Hi Ross,

Just looking through the Prussian army Schedule, and I'm confused by the apparent double entry for the Colberg Infantry Regiment. Can I assume that the Prussian Army cards are right, and this is a 6 strength unit in III Corps?

I'm in the process of rescaling the cards to 60x60mm so that I can play the game on my 6x4ft table. A big thanks for the effort you have put into this!

Dave

happ45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 04:16:47 AM »
Dave,

Well spotted - thanks for the message.

The cards were correct but I made an error on the roster (and also found a couple of typos on the Prussian briefing for IV corps after checking the initial typo) - the problems with copy and paste! The last unit on the roster should have been the combined Landwehr Cavalry Unit.

I have amended both the roster and briefing and uploaded the files to our website - just click on the same links as before and the corrected versions of both files will be there.

Looking forward to hearing how the game went.

Best regards,

Ross

fishdja54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 02:18:59 PM »
I have just finished a solo game of this scenario using my resized cards. The game finished with the French IV corps overwhelming Tauentzien before the Prussian right could make a serious impression on Reyniers Corps. As the initial deployment of Bertrands corps would not completely fit along the road in march mode on my table I allowed the remainder of the units to close up the base of the woods as part of the initial march mode deployment. In hindsight this may have given them too much of a head start, so when I next play this with a live opponent I think it may be better to treat them as reinforcements and bring them on the following turn.   

I found it a good challenging scenario to play and the two dice MO for both sides certainly forces each side to work hard on deciding priorities!

Once again, thanks for your efforts.  I'm especially looking forward to trying your 1809 scenarios, This was where I started "serious" Napoleonic gaming and it will be nice to revisit the battles of my younger days.  :)       

happ45

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 02:06:14 AM »
Hi,

Glad you enjoyed the scenario & thanks for the feedback - very useful.

I did suspect that the French IV Corps might be able to defeat Tauentzien's Prussian Corps reasonably quickly before the game really got going.

Historically Bertrand's advance was relatively cautious and, due to a misunderstanding of Oudinot's orders, he halted his advance in the late morning after pushing back the Tauentzien's Prussians. Recreating this hesitance in a scenario is difficult especially when players get the gods eye view of the battlefield and know exactly what they're up against - a corps made up of conscripts.

To improve play-balance it may be best to improve the ratings of Tauentzien's Prussians (they fought relatively well on the day) to make the fight on that side of the battlefield more even. I would perhaps suggest making the Landwehr rated as 6's rather than 5's. What I would want to avoid is making it then too hard for the French by over-compensating.

What I would say is that for the Prussians accepting defeat on that side of the battlefield is part of the scenario. The challenge for the Prussian player is effectively using Tauentzien's forces to hold up Bertrand and then withdrawing the units off the table to avoid them being counted as broken at the correct time. Hold Bertrand up long enough and you effectively stop him becoming part of the main battle as with only the 2 MO dice he probably wont have enough turns to join up with Reynier.

With regards to setting up Bertrand's IV Corps I knew there wouldn't be adequate space to fit them on the table - whatever doesn't fit on should come on as reinforcements during the next turn (as per your post). This should also help a little with the Prussians on that side holding out a little longer. I should have perhaps stated that clearer in the briefing.

If you let me know how the game vs live opponent goes then that would be great as any feedback allows for fine tuning of the scenarios for everyone's benefit.

I'll leave the scenario set-up as is for now, but if any other folks have the same issues then I will be open to tweak it a little.

Best regards,

Ross
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:11:18 AM by happ45 »

Prussianhussaruk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 01:55:17 PM »
New to the forum, but we are going to play this scenario tomorrow night and wondered if there were anymore up dates.

I will try and remember to take some photos and post an AAR.

Don

happ45

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 05:40:17 PM »
Hi Don,

No updates from the original scenario post. Looking forward to reading the AAR and browsing any pics you upload!

Hope you enjoy the scenario - It'd be great if you share any notes or comments you may have on the scenario after you've played it.

Ross

Prussianhussaruk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 01:20:36 AM »
Played it last night, but unfortunately forgot my camera. Was a great game, the small initial Prussian force held out for the whole game and was instrumental in breaking the French army, on the last move. It was the first game we had played for a while, so we were a little rusty with the rules, but managed to play it, in about 3 hours. We didn't play the weather rules.

Deciding what to move with only two dice was very challenging.

We will refight this at some stage, but we are doing Dennewitz in two weeks, so will try and remember my camera.

Don
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 01:22:26 AM by Prussianhussaruk »

Kontos

• View Profile
    • The Recoiling Knight
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 05:39:04 AM »
Played it last night, but unfortunately forgot my camera. Was a great game, the small initial Prussian force held out for the whole game and was instrumental in breaking the French army, on the last move. It was the first game we had played for a while, so we were a little rusty with the rules, but managed to play it, in about 3 hours. We didn't play the weather rules.

Deciding what to move with only two dice was very challenging.

We will refight this at some stage, but we are doing Dennewitz in two weeks, so will try and remember my camera.

Don

Forgetting your camera on game night is like forgetting your musket on the field of battle. Don't let it happen again.  ;D
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake.

Prussianhussaruk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 04:52:15 AM »
As I forgot my camera, thought I would treat you to a couple of pictures of my Prussians.

Also wanted to check posting pictures here.

Essex miniatures Landwehr in shakos

Black Hat reserve battalions

Essex miniatures British Hussars converted to Frei Korps.

More Prussian Landwehr, as you can never have too many.

Hopefully I will remember my camera for our next game.

Thanks for looking

Don

Kontos

• View Profile
    • The Recoiling Knight
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 07:59:50 AM »
Gooood looking figures. Well done!
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake.

Prussianhussaruk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 03:23:05 AM »
After a long layoff I have a new opponent who will provide more regular games.

Dougie has wargamed many periods, so he is in the process of re-basing his very large collection of 15mm Napoleonics.

We started with this scenario after a practice game a few weeks ago.

In the early moves the Prussians form a semi circle between Didersdorf and Blankenfeld to try and restrict the French deployment.

The French take to the woods to try and bring their weight of numbers to bear.

A couple of very low 'MO dice' rolls for the french caused them a number of problems. This cavalry brigade took two rounds of fire, but they had the last laugh as 20 dice only lead to one hit  ::) ::)

The arrival of the Prussian II Corps, meant all their 'MO dice' being used to rush forward to take Grossbeeren.

Very little was happening around Blunkenfeld as both sides used all their 'MO dice' for the action around Grossbeeren. To be fair my throwing for the French 'MO dice' was unbelievable, of the 15 sets I threw during the game more than 50% were below 6 in total.

The second Prussian arrival saw several brigades of cavalry and these were dispatched to try and stabilise their left flank.

With darkness falling the Prussians make a major push to take Grossbeeren. One French brigade had been decimated by artillery fire, another with a bayonet charge. This cleared the flank of the town and isolated the French garrison.

The final Prussian move sees a two brigade attack on Grossbeeren, but the dice are not with them and they are repulsed  :-[ :-[

Blunkenfeld is still held by the Prussians and with the aid of their cavalry reinforcement they go over to the attack.

The game ended here as a draw, the French still held Grossbeeren and the Prussians Windmill Heights.
Neither army had reached its break point, but the French were close.

I felt for poor Dougie at the end of the game. The 'MO dice' I threw for him were incredibly low. I remember a couple 2's and 3's. But with the same dice he was throwing 9's and 10's for me.

The game tends to break up into two battles and comes down to which part of the field you prioritise for your 'MO points'. Once my reinforcements had arrived, the majority of my points went on the fight around Grossbeeren . Once this was stabilised i looked back to the fight around Blunkenfeld. In hindsight I should have concentrated on Grossbeeren and taken the village. I am not sure the French really got going, the very low 'MO dice' really did 'tie both hands behind their back'.  We have an opportunity to play again next week, so we may revisit this then.

A great scenario and very good for beginners.

Don

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 03:49:49 AM by Prussianhussaruk »