Author Topic: British Reserve Corps  (Read 703 times)

alex_sotheran

• View Profile
British Reserve Corps
« on: May 06, 2018, 06:51:50 AM »
I am currently working my way through mini-ising the 100 Days Campaign Cards in 6mm (see here: http://stormofsteelwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/9th-brigade-5th-division-in-6mm.html) and have reached the British Reserve Corps.

I haven't used them in a game yet, but I was wondering how other people used them. As they are not attached to a particular Corps, this makes them expensive (in activation points) to use during a game, possibly almost unwieldy. Even moving a couple of brigades will eat up the available points. So, how do other people use (those that have)? Do you attach them to I and II Corps? Do you form them into smaller individual Corps or do you use them as individual Brigades (with the resulting relative glacial tactical usage)?

Pike

• View Profile
Re: British Reserve Corps
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 03:25:29 AM »
Hi Alex, see various OOB of Waterloo in Scenario bucket including hard pounding. My research concluded the 9th Brigade was part of Pictons 5th Infantry Division not in reserve. See various sources but, the Waterloo Companion by Mark Adkin is excellent.
Kind regards John.

alex_sotheran

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 08:02:51 AM »
Hi John, thanks for the reply. Yes, I think I will allow the player to decide if they want to put the reserve units in a particular Corps or group them together in their own Corps, to make using them a lot easier!

alex_sotheran

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 09:20:43 AM »
Back again... I have gone to the rules and found on Page 13 the following sentences:

Not all units are attached to corps. Some report directly to the army commander, in which case this box is empty [as with the British Reserve Corps] or non-existent.

I can't find any other reference to a corps reporting to an army commander except on Page 30 and the Activate by Command using CinC Marker.

So, does this mean that the units of Reserve Corps can only move as individual units (also Page 30) or when activated by the CinC marker? Either of which will bring a turn to very quick end...

Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 05:34:42 AM »
Hi Alex

They were not in Reseve at Waterloo as previous comment.

However, the following were in reserve at Waterloo: Nasau Regiment Kruse; Brunswick contingent and I group the reserve artillery in to units under Wellingtons command.

Wellington is mobile so Activating a force by command does not end the movement phase. Rather it simply costs an amount of MO equal to the number of units in that force.

Alternatively move as individual unit activation after all corps activation.

Regards John.