Author Topic: Armour Advantage and Prepared positions  (Read 161 times)

FF1

• View Profile
Armour Advantage and Prepared positions
« on: September 10, 2018, 06:39:31 PM »
I'm playing a game and arguing with the bloke i'm playing.

He attacked a zone with a 2 prepared positions. I played a shift down. He rolled 2 hits with his dice. He has the armour advantage.

I read it that the first hit is "absorbed" on the prepared position, and the 2nd hit, is shifted down, for a net of 0 hits. So 0 hits means no additional armour advantage hit.

He is arguing that the hit on the prepared position is still a legit hit and qualifies for the armour advantage hit.

How's this supposed to work? Who's interpretation is correct?

Le Grand Fromage

• Administrator
  • "Il faut cultiver son jardin."
    • View Profile
    • HONOUR
Re: Armour Advantage and Prepared positions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 08:33:11 AM »
He scored two hits plus the armor advantage?  For a total of three hits?  And then you down-shifted him to two?

Or he scored one hit plus the armor advantage, for a total of two, and then you shifted him down to one?

Either way, as per page 49, the first hit - before you apply any from the grid - goes on your leading armor unit. That's his armor advantage hit.

Then the next hit (if there is one) goes on your prepared position.

FF1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 05:10:03 PM »
He got 2 hits with the dice roll.

I played a defensive tactic that gave him a shift down. So 1 hit left. Then I claimed the prepared defensive position "absorbed" the other hit, for a net total of 0 hits.

So as a further example, if the attacker scored 2 hits with the dice and the defender had 2 tactics applied for a total of 2 shifts down, would armour advantage still give the attacker a hit?

The wording on page 49 reads
"In a tank battle, the side with the armor advantage  - if he scored any hits at all - first scores one "extra" hit on the enemy's leading armor unit before the enemy applies any of the hits he suffers due to the combat result on the grid."

I interpreted that paragraph as he ended up with 0 hits, so no hits equals no tank advantage. If I've interpreted that incorrectly, it's strange that he could get an armour advantage hit, even if he didn't actually place a hit on one of the units.

armstp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 01:20:48 AM »
I think your 2 examples are rather different. 

In your first example the attackers are immediately moved down one after making their roll as a result of your tactic but they still have 1 hit remaining.  So they get an armour advantage hit, then the remaining hit removes the defensive position.   The removal of the defensive position is not a shift down to zero, it is a hit that destroyed defences rather than men or machines.

Looking at your second example as I would apply combat results; someone is attacking with a strength of say 10, they roll a 4, they are moved immediately down 2 as a result of your tactics, which brings them into the bottom category of no hits.  They never scored 2 hits, the grid shows that they scored none as a result of that attack.  So no armour advantage hit.

SteveBurt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 08:40:44 AM »
There was 1 net hit after shifts - so armour advantage applies. The fact that the prepared position will take the hit is irrelevant.