Author Topic: 6mm or 3mm  (Read 238 times)

NorthWestNerd

• View Profile
    • The Dice Are Trying To Kill Me
6mm or 3mm
« on: September 27, 2018, 01:43:16 AM »
Looking at playing a few Western Desert scenarios - as such I've made a basic board and some scenery.

http://northwestgeek.blogspot.com/2018/09/rommel-updates.html

For the moment I've made some counters but I'd like to invest in some minis. I usually play in 10mm for WW2 so would like advice on what is the best place to go and which is more cost effective? Based in UK.

SteveBurt

• View Profile
Re: 6mm or 3mm
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 08:04:13 AM »
3mm is definitely more cost effective, and you can have 5 tanks representing a platoon which looks nice.
But, the infantry are almost invisible, and 3mm tanks tend to look like cartoon tanks.
So personally if I were doing smaller scale stands for Rommel I'd go for 6mm/1:300 scale. I think there's also more stuff available in that scale.

GavinDBM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 01:03:45 PM »
I decided to go with the 3mm option on a large base...but they are tiny.

Like your hills.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 01:05:41 PM by GavinDBM »

archduck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 03:58:07 PM »
Agree with many of Steve and Gavin's comments, however 3mm also have one advantage that being tiny brings - combats look more realistic in regard to scale and avoid looking like car parks full of tanks!

Cheers,
          Peter

Zanoni

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 01:18:34 AM »
I did my desert war armies in 3mm, firstly because they were a lot cheaper than 6mm or 10mm and secondly because I didn't want to spend that much time building and painting the armies.

The only thing I would say is that the infantry at that scale are pretty much invisible, as I did the desert war I just depicted them all as trucks but did end up doing some Italian infantry with the 3mm infantry figures, in all honesty maybe it is just my age/eyesight but how you can see any difference in 3mm infantry is beyond me!

The tanks and trucks do look good in numbers though and are very quick to paint. You can tell them apart and with 5 per base they give a good impression of the scale of Rommel.

We've actually played quite a few games now so considering the low(ish) cost and time spent painting and basing the armies 3mm has worked well for us.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 01:20:58 AM by Zanoni »

fred

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 01:09:45 PM »
Why not stick with 10mm?

NorthWestNerd

• View Profile
    • The Dice Are Trying To Kill Me
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 01:22:20 AM »
I will be for Europe etc - but I wanted to do some desert forces and funds are tight at the moment

fred

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 09:23:13 AM »
Fair enough.

I think I'd go with 3mm, even at 6mm the infantry are very small, so why not go the whole way, and save some cash!

Abwerhschlacht

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 09:59:26 AM »
I have gone for Rommel in 3mm, it's cheap, quick to put together opposing forces and looks right from the game level. There's a few posts about this on my blog:

http://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com/search/label/WW2+3mm

robh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 02:39:06 PM »
I use 6mm and the same bases (30mm square with 1 vehicle or 6/7 infantry) are used for Crossfire, Kampfgruppe Normandy, Spearhead, Panzer Korps and Megablitz as well as Rommel depending on the type of game we want to play.
PK, Rommel and Megablitz look great in 3mm but as you get to the lower level unit/organisation based games individuality becomes important and 6mm is much more recognisable.

Also means 1 set of scenery.