Author Topic: Towns & Hard Cover  (Read 75 times)

ianjgow

• View Profile
Towns & Hard Cover
« on: October 09, 2018, 03:13:40 PM »
Just to check I have this correct.

Towns do not give Cover to units at all unless they are a Garrison.

A Garrison can claim -1 Modifier for Cover from Shooting as well as all successful rolls to Hit by enemy Musketry & Cannister having to be re-rolled due to Hard Cover bonus.

Similarly, a Garrison that is Defending vs enemy attack causes the Attacker -2 Modifier on Combat Roll whilst also allowing the Defender to re-roll his Combat die?

Does the attacker also suffer Disruption for attacking the Town (Difficult Terrain) & also -2 Modifier to Combat Roll (Bad Terrain)? If so, I can't see how it is possible to take a Town.

Bearing in mind that the Objective is placed in a Town as a priority, this does seem to give the Attacker an insurmountable obstacle.

I would appreciate the thinking behind this

Regards,

j

srmlaw

• Play Testers
    • View Profile
Re: Towns & Hard Cover
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 08:37:18 AM »
Towns only give cover to a garrison, not other units in the town.

Garrison can claim -1 for cover shooting modifier and musketry and canister successful rolls have to be re-rolled.

An attacker does not suffer 1 Disruption for attacking a garrison if the garrison is at the edge of the town.  The attacker does suffer the -2 modifier for attacking a defender in cover and the defender can re-roll.  However, if the attacker has to move through any part of the town to attack, then the attacker will have suffered the 1 Disruption in getting there.

ianjgow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 09:19:44 AM »
Thanks. I can see no reason to Garrison troops right on the edge of a Town as their Fire Zone  can pass through less than 1BW so just place them 1/2BW inside & in practice any Attacker WILL be Disrupted & in Combat will get -1 DISR & -2 Bad Terrain, a total of -3 with the Defender able to re-roll any duff Combat dice, so stands little chance of success – at best they’ll Fall Back 1BW & it all starts again.

There is the option to Bombard, which does not suffer from Hard Cover re-roll of succesful d6 but still gets -1 for Cover meaning only 5+ rolls succeed & a 50% chance of a Trained Garrison to nullify Disruption.
However, this means foregoing advancing on the Town (& Objective) remember, you can’t Bombard overhead from a Hill while your Infantry move forwards & so the Attacker must Bombard successfully 2 or 3 times without the Garrison Rallying any Hits in order to weaken them, but then they can try to Rally again while the Infantry move up to Assault.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a great fan of not being able to co-ordinate attackes with only 1 Force moving per phase & Towns should not be easy to take but we have not used them extensively by mutual agreement because of their perceived invulnerability.

It seems to me that, given a choice, a Defender will always choose a Town & because the Objective MUST be placed in the Town as a priority, it is unlikely that an Attacker can win by taking the Objective.
If anyone has had a different experience I would be grateful for their input. If not, the Attacker’s only hope of victory is to reduce the enemy to 0 Morale.

Anyone?

Le Grand Fromage

• Administrator
  • "Il faut cultiver son jardin."
    • View Profile
    • HONOUR
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 09:51:49 AM »
Towns are supposed to be good defensive positions but they're hardly invulnerable. The game requires you to soften them up first and then to make multiple attempts against them, as was almost always the case historically.

Since a unit always suffers at least 1 DISR in combat, no matter the outcome, the garrison will eventually be overcome.

IN the meantime, if you have good-quality infantry, preferably attacking with better than 1-1 odds and/or in Massed formation, then you have a decent chance of beating the garrison:

8+1-2-2 = One die plus 5. Your range of outcomes are probably in the 6-11 range, depending upon whether you have the right tactical cards, and before considering any bonus for outnumbering the defender.

If this really is something so important as the objective that determines who wins the game, then I'd hope that you've prepared adequately, with good units in sufficient number, and saved some good combat modifying cards.  Otherwise, there would be a lot more complaints on this forum that towns are too easy to take, thus ending games too easily.

srmlaw

• Play Testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 07:17:18 AM »
You can try moving an infantry, or better an irregular infantry, unit into the town behind the garrison, so that part of their shooting strength has to be diverted from keeping the assaulters at bay.  But better is to attack the garrison with more than one unit, and to use the grenadiers as attackers, since that is what they are supposed to be for!

ianjgow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 02:31:29 PM »
I wondered whether Grenadier unit should be allowed to use Massed Infantry in order to attack strong points like this? Just being picky I suppose.

In any event, tonight’s game saw me defending & placing a Regular Spanish Infantry unit in a central Town with a Ploughed Field in front & hills to each flank. My Austrian opponent simply ignored the Town & proceeded to destroy both of my flanks, aided & abetted by my right flank Spanish Guard Cavalry (Maison du Roi) rolling 1 for every Combat (no, really!) & his swarm of Grenze on my left taking out my other flank, sniping from the Woods.

This just makes me love the rules more… I think ;)